Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Ghibli Museum

Alright, it's about high time for a blog post. last weekend, I have to put honestly,


Rocked ASS!

Last Sunday I did what I had fantasized about doing for so many years. I went to the Ghibli Museum. I was bristling with anticipation. Forget about Dora, Blues Clues or The Wiggles, my kids are growing up on the inspirational genius of Hayao Miyazake. For those of you who don't know, Miyazake is responsible for producing some of my favorite films ever. Castle in the Sky, Mononoke Hime, and Howl's Moving Castle to name a few. These films, while animated, are far from the norm of anime canon. They reach a wider audience than I ever thought possible. With their young aspiring protagonists and fun fantastical characters, they appeal to children as young as preschool. Yet when one matures, so do their understanding of the film. Mononoke Hime is a dark and powerful epic, and Nausicaa Valley of the Winds explores the deep struggles between man and that which we view as dangerous or vile. The Villains are as complex as the protagonists, from Lady Aboshi and her benevolent rule over an industrial village, to the villain in Nausicaa doing whats best for her country. They provoke deep thought, and are among the highest echelon of video entertainment. Even if animation isn't really your thing, I STRONGLY urge all who read this to give one of his films a watch. You will not be disappointed.

So saying I like the work of Studio Ghibli would be the understatement of the century Sunday I went to an entire museum devoted to the magic. So how was it? UNBELIEVABLE!

As me and Benji got dropped off the Ghibli Bus I looked over to see a place that looked almost as whimsical as one of the very films it showcased.

It poked out of the foliage, as if it was just on the edge of the forest, clinging to Tokyo, else it might fall into a world all it's own. As we got closer I took a surveying glance to the top of the Museum and took a gasp. There on the roof, silhouetted by the bright blue sky, was a life size mechanical protector from Laputa, the Castle in the Sky.

It stood above the museum, ever vigilant, guarding the wonderful treasures that lie inside.
We took a quick walk around to the front to see our good friend Totoro at a fake Ticket Booth.
We got in line and I pulled our tickets out of my bag. We handed them to the women at the front and went inside. The interior was breathtaking. Most of it was designed by Miyazaki himself, and it showed. It was lively, and full of secret passageways and little corners for the children to play in.

The first room we entered was very exciting. Flashing lights and different archaic methods of animation lined the walls. It was a room dedicated to how animation worked. They had a display that had clay models of many frames of motion that spun very fast, and with the help of a strobe light, made it seem as though the characters where actually moving. After the delightful tour with the animation dioramas, it was time to explore the upstairs. In this room was the heart and soul of what me and Benji wanted. We were baffled by how many drawings, watercolor sketches and background paintings coated the walls. There was concept art from every major Ghibli Film. It was simply jaw dropping. I have pages upon pages of sketches and can't wait to go back in a month. It had so many figurative studies, and reference material. I could have spent all day in those two rooms. Questions flooded my head, and once again the language barrier prevented me from asking them. We then went and saw one of Miyazaki's short films. They are films exclusive to the museum, and they are all magical. Find one online, I dare you. Seriously, it's not possible. They are exclusive to the museum. They added an exhibition for their newest Shortfilm. It included several life-size models of the characters.


It was simply magnificent. After that, just before the sun had set, we made our way to the rooftop garden where my ever vigilant guardian was waiting for us.



And Ethan, as I promised, the gaggle of people waiting to take pictures with the Robot


It was an incredible day and while I couldn't take any photos inside, it is a place of wonder and artistic brilliance that will stay with me for years and years to come. If you ever find yourself in Tokyo, it is simply a must see for anyone who enjoys a sense of childlike awe. But get your tickets 2 weeks or more in advance, I imagine more so for more travel-intensive seasons.


We happened upon a Korean barbecue place and ended the perfect day with a delicious dinner. It was honestly one of the best days of the trip so far. Looking forward to the Shinjuku art museum trip tomorrow. Maybe I'll do a post on that too. Until next time,

~Zach

2 comments:

  1. I love Howl's Moving Castle. It's WAY better than Dragon Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading the excitement in your words. I wish you could have taken pictures inside. I guess I'll just have to wait to see your sketches. I hope you are planning to return to the museum. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete