Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Tsunami and Earthquake.

In light of....er.... recent events, I have held off on the 2nd and 3rd parts of the Kyoto trip for the time being. for the sake of chronology, however, these filler posts will have to suffice.

I'm a little bit jumpier than usual.

I suppose being on the 8th floor of a business hotel during several Aftershocks can have that effect on someone. I'm keeping my cool, and keeping a level head. (For the time being at least.) Me and Sarah have been lying low for the last two or three days. I haven't experienced a blackout yet, and people tell me that it's because the good people of Tokyo are being conservative enough with the power that it is unnecessary. it speaks volumes about Japan that it's people can rise to the occasion when it comes to unifying through these events. The Tsunami and Earthquake where the worst the world has seen in over 150 years.

And I was less than 300 miles from the carnage.

It's hard to imagine just how incredibly destructive the disaster was. The death-toll has reached 10,000, and Japan is forever changed. I don't know how it can pull itself from the ashes, but I trust that it will find a way. Radiation levels in the plants continue to rise, and from time to time the ground continues to shake, like the restless kicks and twitches of a sleeping child after a tantrum. The Government says that Tokyo is not in danger of contamination, but if it gets worse, than you might be seeing me back home sooner than you thought. I don't want to leave. This country has given me so much growth and perspective. I would hate to abandon it when the going gets tough.

All the semantics aside though, safety comes first, end of story. If things go downhill, I'll jump-ship without a second thought. No need to worry about a sense of "honor" endangering my well being. I am going to stick it out for the time being though, as things are fairly safe here in Tokyo. The biggest things I've noticed is that Convenience stores are stripped bare, and I'd wager about a fourth of most public establishments (I.E. Arcades, stores, restaurants) are closed for the time being. Most convenience stores operate with the lights off to conserve power. From the emails I've received, every TUJ student is accounted for, safe and sound, and uninjured.

I have a lot of real world work ahead of me, like building my resume, portfolio, and applications for internships, so for at least the next week and a half, I'll probably be getting that out of the way. I'm going to stay inside as much as possible, wear a face-mask, and for the most part, hunker down and play it safe. I wouldn't worry too much, as I'm not stranded, nor do I intend to be. Keep me in your thoughts, but not your worries! It's too much energy. Trust me, I'm pretty exhausted right about now. I'll try to keep you all informed, and who knows, maybe I'll even finish the Kyoto trip posts! Anyway, I'm safe, Sarah is safe, and right now the situation is fairly stable. I'd crack a joke at about this point in the post, but I think in light of the thousands of lives lost, I will just say best wishes, and I can't wait to see you all soon.
~Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment