Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sensoji the Magnificent

I keep finding it hard to sit down and Blog. life happens so fast here that it seems like every 1o minutes I have a genuinely new experience. It's hard to believe that in just a few short weeks, this amazing world will seem normal and commonplace. I thought I would step off the Plane and it would hit me like a ton of bricks. "This is it! TOKYO-DESU!" But the reaction has actually been a bit different. Instead of one geek out or realization, it seems to be happening in smaller, stuttered increments. My first convenience store trip, my first time using a Japanese vending machine, my first time swiping my Suica to head to Gotanda Station, these experiences bare with them little bursts of excitement. It's like figuring out a good puzzle. I'm finding absolute joy in the simplest and most mundane of activities. A simple "Sumimasen!" to get someone's attention, or the act of greeting a convenience store clerk and receiving recognition and a smile are hailing achievements. The act of communicating, even through the most simple of terms, "more water please," "Please bring me this," "Good morning," "Thank you," Are like little cracks in the Levi. I feel like the Language barrier is less of a wall and more of a Dam. These simple pieces of genuine human understanding amongst two worlds are the cracks and fissures, bursting with high pressure streams, that eventually lead to the Dam's imminent collapse. I've been all over Tokyo in the past two days, and while I can't possibly cover everything, I will try hard to keep everyone up to date, Starting with Saturday.

When people think of Japan at it's most Stereotypical core, they think of large temples, tori gates, and pegota style architecture. While of course modern Japan looks nothing like this, it's these types of images that helps root one to a place with such a rich and renown history. I got off of the Subway at Asakusa, wondering where exactly we where going. I knew it was a place called Sensoji temple, so I expected a little of what I was just explaining. Hoping for that old Japanese Architecture that is so often replicated in American amusement parks or tourist traps. I walked along the bustling street, and rounded the corner. The first thing I saw was this.


It was Breathtaking. The bright red looked so crisp and beautiful against the cloudless sky. over the course of this blog, I'm going to try as hard as I can not to overuse the word Beautiful. But I fear I will end up using the term more than Stephanie Meyer uses "perfect" to describe Edward's face.
That reminds me, I am SO GLAD to be away from the Twi-Tard craze. No-one here seems to
have ever heard of Twilight. Maybe because they have standards...
Anyway, The gate was huge, and inside the two sides where intricate sculptures. That was a big moment. it was a stark realization. "This is it! THIS is Japan." It was all I could do to stand there with my mouth agape, as hundreds of locals pushed past me to get to the market within. It seems like this trip carries with it random moments of speechlessness. I will be having a conversation and in mid-sentence, I will see something that just takes my breath away. I stepped through the gate and saw the Market at Sensoji.


There are several temples like this all throughout the city. It amazes me that in such a densely populated area, so much space is committed to areas like these. hot-spots of commerce, culture, and beauty. The market within seemed to stretch on forever. It was like looking at an infinite space between two mirrors. I could faintly see the Temple itself at the end, and me and Benji began making our way towards it, all the while taking in the sights and smells of the festival. It's interesting the way the dynamic of temples like this work. There is always a long journey to the Temple. A lot of walking distance between the entrance and the temple itself. It's as if there is a mini Pilgrimage that is made, where the trip there is as rewarding if not more so than the visit to the temple itself.

The Vendors where full of everything you could think of. Masks, toys, noisemakers, and LOTS of food. Me and Benji stopped for some fried Mochi, and I got pumkin flavored. they where delicious. the bean paste inside was subtle but rich and the crispiness was perfect. We then continued on and as we broke free of the Market corridor, a glance to my left rendered me speechless again.

These buildings where elaborate and beautiful. Normally in things like Gothic Cathedrals and elaborate churches, you see tons of intricate sculptures and shapes, all added to decorate the structure. These buildings however occupy space in a much simpler way, and in my opinion MUCH more beautifully. They are only intricate in their structure. Nothing seems tact-on or added, and the perfection of their form seems to speak for itself. It's difficult to find words to express the emotions I was feeling as I walked through that place, but It certainly was a sight that must be experienced.
One final gate, even more elaborate than the last separated me from the Temple. I walked through into the courtyard and saw the structure known as Sensoji Temple.
TA-DAA! Just kidding. This wasn't the temple. this was a smaller building off to the side. it was quaint and lovely, but it was no Sensoji.
I was met with Buddhist Sculptures and several other holy relics. I'm always fascinated by Buddhism as it's one of very few religions that is Atheistic. Buddhists pray to no deity, and they worship no god, they simply live as a once living, physical man had done so. It's beautiful to me that a religion can be so incredibly spiritual and moving, without the need of magic or fairy tales. it makes no claims, challenges no government and requires no blind faith, apart from some harmless superstitions. It is the simple act of following the teachings of an extremely wise man. I find many of the Buddhist philosophies to be incredibly healthy and true.
This is a place to burn incense to pay respects to the dead. You are supposed to waft the smoke to your face and breath it in, as you can see the man in the black and red jacket doing. I was so tall, a gust of wind sent the smoke billowing right into my eyes. So much for wafting.

This was an interesting shot because it illustrates well the general look of Tokyo. There is a constant harmony of old meets new. The two sides don't seem to struggle as much as they just seem to coexist. This dynamic is a stark contrast that I seem to encounter everywhere I go.

There it is. Benji and I walked up the stairs and tossed our coins in and payed our respects, and then wandered to our next destination.
It was an amazing day. We visited another temple that took up even more space for marshlands. It was a beautiful park. We also went to AKIHABARA! My and every nerd's wet dream. Sadly my Camera died, so I will be chronicling my next trip to Nerd Mecca with photos. BY FAR though, the coolest thing I saw all day was this. Are you ready? Are you sure?
.
.
.
.
.
.
Your not ready. I can tell. I can see it in your eyes.
.
.
.
.
.
Still skeptical as to your readiness...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Okay. Here you go.



A MONKEY ON MOTHER FUCKING STILTS! What now BEOTCH! My life is complete. See you all next post.
~ZU

3 comments:

  1. my favorite part was that you are gonna use beautiful more than stephanie mayer uses perfect to describe edwards face. that is priceless. XD also im soo jealous your in tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you that tall or the people that short or are you standing on a stool every time you take a picture? Ha ha. No one seems to be in the way when you take a picture. Being 6'4" has it's advantages. I love your blog. Can't wait to read about your 1st day at school.
    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like the monkey on stilts is worth the price of the entire trip. Aren't you glad you went to college??
    - Jason

    ReplyDelete