Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Nippon Daily Grind

Here again to bring you yet another tale from the east. I have a theory. When you get drunk the first time, you wait and you wait, and if you don't overdo it, the first time you don't feel much of anything. Your body's still drunk, but you simply don't know what to look for. The warning signs are an enigma to your fresh, Virgin senses, and the concept of drunkenness eludes you. I've concluded that, although I don't yet know all the warning signs, I am indeed, extremely jetlagged. My day begins at around 5:30, when my body acts like a stubborn child and refuses out of spite to let me get any more sleep. After that it's a process of getting up, doing a SHIT ton of walking, and then wanting to pass out by 8:00. Yesterday I thought my feet where going to break up with my body and seek one that would treat them better. Maybe a Salon owner, then at least they'd get to dress up now and then. Basically, my feet and me where not on speaking terms.

I guess I need to talk about RUSH HOUR. Rush hour is normally associated with the morning commute, Traffic, and Reckless Driving. And while the first is true, The Trains are the center stage for rush hour here in Tokyo. If your going to live in this city, I honestly believe that owning a car in Tokyo is more pointless than owning a car in New York. the trains can go ANYWHERE. Basically you get a card called a Suica. You can put money on this card and it's deducted depending on how far you go, how often you travel, ect. Basically every time you enter or exit a platform, you go through a gate that scans the card. All you have to do is plop the card down, be it even in a wallet or a bag, onto the scanner, and the gate traffic calculates your fairs. It's as genius as it is streamlined and efficient. I'm always amazed by this city's solutions for modern living. I keep going off on Tangents. Anyway, Rush Hour is intense, and not for the faint of heart. You know how when your Airliner has a checked bag limit? You bring an extra bag, and, not wanting to go over, decide to take out your personal effects, and violate the other bag's personal space by JAMMING and SHOVING all your T-shirts and Pants into the other bag? It's kinda like that. I swear I'm bearing the child of one of 4 Japanese business men. It's just common Practice over hear. You get on, say nothing, develop a close, uncomfortably personal relationship with a bunch of strangers, and then it's over.

On the Platform on the way home from my excursion today, which will be elaborated on in the next post, I experienced something I never thought I'd see. I reached in my pocket and pulled out my wallet, dropping a 1000 yen bill onto the floor, without even noticing. I turned around to see a modest looking Japanese man holding the bill out with a smile. He was returning the bill, and I could tell by looking in his eyes that the thought of taking it never once crossed his mind. That's the kind of honesty you experience all over Tokyo. From the good people, to the rich cultural heritage, I'm truly in love with this city. I can't wait to get a few weeks into my stay, so I can stop "experiencing" Tokyo, and start "living" here. I'll keep you posted all the way.
~Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment